It’s PSAT time

Loretto Academy holds PSAT testing for sophomores and juniors on October 13th. Meanwhile, students were stressed out about midterms, college, and test scores.

Andrea Carranco, Staff Reporter

As the PSAT approached in October, many underclassmen began stressing out due to the amount of work they were receiving from each of their classes, studying for midterms, planning their futures, and scoring well on the PSAT. 

This year, juniors and sophomores took the PSAT on October 13th, right before their midterm exams.

Which has caused a lot of fear and anxiety regarding their grades and scores. 

Many students are questioning whether PSAT/SAT scores will be required for college applications.

Ms. Janise Pries, counselor at Loretto said, “As of right now, I am aware that St. Mary’s University will not be requiring test scores of any kind for admission.” 

Although the PSAT is not mandatory, counselors encourage every student to take it so that they have an opportunity to qualify for prestigious scholarships.

Students that take the PSAT  have the chance to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship.

This scholarship provides a student with $2,500 during their freshman year of college.

To qualify for this scholarship, a student must receive a score above 1400 out of 1520.

Ms. Pries said that some colleges may not require test scores for general admission next year.

Colleges believe that test scores do not provide enough information about the student to judge whether or not they will be successful.

An exception to this is if a student is applying for a scholarship within a university that requires test scores to compare with other students.

Good luck to all students as they await the arrival of their test scores.