KFOX14’s Estefania Seyffert reflects on career at alma mater

Estefania Seyffert works as an investigative reporter for KFOX14 and CBS4. Seyffert was a writer for The Prax and graduated from Loretto Academy in 2012. Photo courtesy of KFOX14

Mia Badillo and Orlyanka Tantchou, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Thirteen years ago, Estefania Seyffert walked into high school with aspirations of pursuing a career in law, which changed when she experienced the reality of working in a law firm as an intern.

Seyffert didn’t always plan on stepping into the journalistic field.

At an early age, she fell in love with creative writing and speech and debate.

She set her path to becoming a lawyer and worked towards that goal academically.

She took journalism and acquired experience from her position as Loretto News section editor of The Prax.

Once she graduated from Loretto Academy, she continued her studies at the University of Texas at El Paso, where she went in with one ambition but graduated in three short years with another.

She began as an English major while interning at a law firm.

Seyffert said, “I got an internship at a law firm, and I hated it, quit shortly after, enrolled in journalism at UTEP, and just stuck with it.”

She described her college-level course as a breeze because she had gone through the basics as a junior in high school.

After earning a bachelor’s degree in Multimedia Journalism from UTEP, she worked as an executive producer at KTSM, until 2020 when she joined the team at KFOX14. 

Seyffert continues to provide stories for the El Paso community and is giving back to her alma mater by sharing her experiences with young journalists. 

As a Hispanic female journalist, Seyffert wants to inspire women who have suffered from inequality in the workplace.

According to a 2018 survey from the American Society of News Editors, Hispanic females make up about 3% of newsrooms in the United States.

Seyffert said, “Do not feel belittled by the fact that you are new at what you are doing.”

Becoming a journalist means following a specific code of ethics, including honesty, respect, integrity, and accountability. 

Seyffert reminds young female journalists to remain confident when their credibility is tested. 

Seyffert said, “Always do your research.

As a journalist, you are in control, and the viewers only know as much as you tell them.”

Journalists who fabricate stories and evidence harm their reputation and the reputation of the company they work for.

Seyffert said, “My personal style of journalism is facts because I want to keep my credibility, and I want to be professional.” 

Seyffert shared some of her favorite Loretto memories, including participating in Ring Rose and current events quizzes in journalism class with Mrs. Lockhart-Walker. 

Before concluding her visit, Seyffert thanked her audience for the questions and said, “I owe everything I’ve been able to do in this career to Mrs. Lockhart.”

Seyffert makes it a point to visit Loretto Academy and The Prax staff as often as possible.