Service behind masks

The+Tantchou+sisters+with+their+beautiful+smiles+as+they+promote+No+Limit+International.+By+making+hand+sanitizers+they+are+able+to+provide+it+to+those+in+need.+%28Left+to+right%3A+Orlyana+Tantchou%2C+Orlyola+Tantchou%2C+Orlyanka+Tantchou%2C+and+Orlybella+Tantchou%29.+

Photo courtesy of Orlyana Tantchou.

The Tantchou sisters with their beautiful smiles as they promote No Limit International. By making hand sanitizers they are able to provide it to those in need. (Left to right: Orlyana Tantchou, Orlyola Tantchou, Orlyanka Tantchou, and Orlybella Tantchou).

Isabela Baca, Class Sections Editor

Being quarantined for a long time at the beginning of March 2020, created time for several projects to come true.

While some girls found new hobbies, others began new projects to help the community.

Sisters, senior Orlyana Tantchou and sophomore Orlyanka Tantchou, created an impact once the pandemic started.

When school shut down back in March 2020, both Orlyana and Olyanka Tantchou, along with their 2 sisters; Orlyola and Orlybella, started an organization called No Limit International, which prompted the action, FiCovid-19, in response to the global pandemic.

Orlyana said, “One day after completing a week of online school, I was sitting in my bed thinking about how I could help others deal with COVID.

“I kept looking at the numbers of people dying and being infected with COVID and it scared me; I didn’t want to just sit this pandemic out, I wanted to make a change.

“My sisters and I came together and brainstormed different ways to help, and that’s how FiCovid-19 was formed.

“FiCovid-19 is short for Fight COVID-19. We wanted an inspiring message to be behind our organization.”

The girl’s project began by getting informed on the do’s and don’ts of the virus, and statistics in order to keep everyone safe.

Orlyanka said, “All we saw on TV was death tolls and infection rates, but reaching out to various communities helped me realize that the pandemic was more than just health related.

“There were people suffering from boomerang effects from the health crisis.”

Researching and following the World Health Organization guidelines; which included wearing a mask and using hand sanitizer frequently, the girls learned how to make hand sanitizer.

Learning how to make hand sanitizer was not the only success the girls had, but they also raised money through their family and friends to purchase masks from China at the onset of the pandemic. 

Orlyana said, “We purchased more than 5,000 masks.

“Then, we went around the U.S. and donated the masks and hand sanitizers to shelters and consulates.”

The objective of their non-profit organization is to benefit people in our community and those in Latin American countries, as well, through their consulates.

However, the journey didn’t stop here, the girls also created a blog and website; where they have written blog entries, called ficovid-19.com that provides information and statistics about the impact of the global pandemic in various parts of the world.

The girls not only dealt with taking care of an organization but kept school on track.

Orlyanka said, “I focus on schoolwork and assignments during the week, and I devote my time to the organization on the weekends.

“Sometimes during the week, I might spend 30 minutes here and there to respond to inquiries about the organization but for the most part, it’s my weekend activity.”

Despite the change the girls are creating in the community, they enjoy being leaders to those in need. 

Orlyana said “ It was important for me to actively seek solutions or lend a helping hand during these challenging times instead of just staying at home.

“ Looking at the number of COVID-related deaths on the news everyday made me sick to my stomach and inspired me to be part of the solution.”

Loretto couldn’t be more proud to have angels just like them.