Loretto’s swim team takes on state

Photo courtesy of Analia Cortez

Loretto’s swim team were Regional Champions in 2020. The team poses for a photo with their plaque and banner.

Natalia Valenzuela, Reporter

The Loretto Academy swim team will be attending State on February 9th through the 11th in San Antonio, TX. 

TAPPS canceled Regionals for all schools, meaning everyone got automatic acceptance into State. 

The team is made up of two freshmen, three sophomores, five juniors, and four seniors. 

“I love my team. I feel as if we all have a genuine bond with each other and amazing friendships. I have made so many memories and I always have a great time with the girls. I am excited to see what this year’s State has in store.” said junior swimmer, Sophia Chabre. 

The team has been preparing for State through practice since September. 

Sophomore, Sofia Ruiz Del Hoyo said “I’m definitely most excited for getting to compete with my friends this year. We haven’t been able to swim in any meets this year, making this year’s State meet even more important.”

Due to COVID-19 there will be different rules and precautions will be taken but the team is strong and will do the best to their ability. 

“Well, it makes me sad that we can’t all be together and carry out our traditions but I’m glad we will at least be able to swim one final race as a team. My fellow seniors and I have been going to State and we have been through so much together these past 4 years. I am excited to see what comes.” said senior, Lauren Barajas. 

The Loretto community is wishing the girls good luck and hope the team will bring another Championship!