Tampon tax battle

People+gathered+in+Edinburgh%2C+Scotland+in+support+of+the+Period+Products+bill.+Women+carrying+posters+in+demand+of+their+basic+necessities.+

Photo Courtesy of Andrew Milligan/PA Wire via ZUMA Press via Newscom, FILE

People gathered in Edinburgh, Scotland in support of the Period Products bill. Women carrying posters in demand of their basic necessities.

Daniela Martell, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The battle to stop taxing tampons and pads has been an ongoing battle for years–but it has come to the point where enough is enough. 

Scotland became the first country to make tampons and pads completely free. 

The UK just abolished the tampon tax.

Is that it? Are those the headlines? 

It is 2021 and countries are still being celebrated for not taxing on tampons?

Countries should be celebrated for making tampons and pads completely free, such as Scotland. 

In schools in Scotland they must provide students with products with no cost and so will other designated public places. 

The cost of providing free products will be $34 million according to the Scottish government.

Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon said, “Proud to vote for this groundbreaking legislation, making Scotland the first country in the world to provide free period products for all who need them. An important policy for women and girls.”

As a woman myself I know first handedly the burden it is to have to pay for a basic necessity such as pads or tampons and know the struggle of getting them.

In Juarez it took me several cycles to know which stores sold tampons and which didn’t. 

However to get to that point of knowing where I could buy them, took literal blood, sweat, and tears. 

I am privileged enough to be able to afford transportation to the store that sells tampons and to be able to afford them; but that is not the case with everyone. 

At this point it doesn’t come off as a shocker that period poverty is one of the reasons why girls don’t finish school. 

Now it’s time to demand more.

In Texas there is still a tax on menstrual products.

Texas State Rep. Ana-Maria Ramos said “It may take a whole hour of work for a woman to be able to buy a box of tampons. Or for a man to earn the money to buy a box of tampons for his daughter, mother, or aunt.”

A bill to end the sale’s tax on menstrual products was authored by Rep. Donna Howard, however it never went through the committee. 

Howard will still bring back the issue in the 2021 legislative session. 

Daniela Robles, member of the Women Empowering Women Club of Loretto Academy said, “Having a menstrual cycle is in no way considered a luxury especially for those who can’t afford any of the products. 

“The reality is that all women have them however not all women can afford to pay for tampons and pads so they shouldn’t be considered a luxury item.”

With regards to Scotland, Robles said, “I feel acknowledged because at least one country realizes the reality that women face and has chosen to do right by them and am hopeful that more countries follow their example.”

The UK earlier this year abolished the tampon tax, adding them to the growing list of countries abolishing taxes on feminine sanitary products. 

Amongst this list is India, Kenya, Australia and several US states like California. 

Germany reduced their tax rate on feminie hygiene products, but still taxes them.

The countries who still tax and/or charge  their feminine products should feel pressured by the countries on the list. 

Isn’t the United States considered by many  to be the greatest country in the world?

I guess they aren’t if they are still taxing those products.

The United States and other first world countries are falling behind. 

Half of the world’s population should not be denied their basic rights. 

It is 2021 and only one country provides free menstruation products. 

If I demand change, then I must act upon by raising awareness on the issue by having conversations on the topic. 

This fight seems to still be ongoing for the foreseeable future and it takes a village to abolish the tampon tax.