One last ride

Photo Courtesy of Analia Cortez

Loretto Academy Swim Team at Regionals. Celebrating their victory with big smiles in a team photo.

Natalia Valenzuela, Reporter

As seniors start their last year of high school, they also start their last sport season as an Angel.

Seniors who have played a sport for the first three years of their high school career look forward to their last season getting to wear their Loretto jerseys for one last time, being leader of the team, and their senior night.

Due to COVID-19 this year’s sports season is going to be extremely different and unlike anything seen before. 

Varsity volleyball player, Giselle Yoshimoto, said, “Going in I was nervous but also excited for my last season. I knew it was going to be different because of all the protocols we had to follow and the short amount of time we had to prepare. Although our season was cut short, I tried to stay positive and make the most of it.” 

The seniors’ mentalities were not the only change this season; the safety protocols meant that the familiar faces in the stands could no longer root on the Angels in person.

“Spectators weren’t allowed at any games and the environment did feel different, so we as a team would cheer each other on and encourage one another. In the end, even though we didn’t have the senior season we hoped for, I’m grateful for my team and for being able to play this year.” said Yoshimoto 

Senior year athletics are important because it is the year for the girls to showcase themselves if they are interested in taking part in college sports. 

Varsity swimmer, Analia Cortez, said “From the past years of being on this team I’ve learned what it means to be a teammate and that positivity really is key. There’s so many traditions we had, such as team dinners and sleep overs that we aren’t able to have this year, but I am lucky that I still get to see the girls and coach every morning at practice.” 

The past four years were filled with unforgettable memories that will stay with you forever. 

As the school year continues, other senior athletes will get to  experience their oncoming season and the last few games of their high school year. 

All senior athletes look forward to one last ride in a Loretto jersey and no matter how their seasons have changed with COVID-19.