Essential support for new traditions

Photo courtesy of Christiane Tapia

Christiane Tapia at the Loretto campus for her first year in high school. She looks forward to giving ideas for fun activities for her fellow classmates.

Iliana Moreno, Co-Editor-In-Chief

The Student Council at Loretto Academy has the daunting task of keeping Loretto traditions alive while students sit at home waiting for the virus to go away.

Freshman Christiane Tapia is a Homeroom Representative for one of the freshman classes, tasked with informing her class on new takes on traditions, along with coming up with new ways to have them.

Tapia said, “I want to make this as fun as possible, especially since we’re very limited with the activities we can do.”

Tapia is new to Loretto, aiming to encourage new girls to not be afraid to seek office in Student Council, as many girls are unfamiliar with traditions and have yet to make lifelong friends. 

Tapia said “I want to be an example to not be afraid. I’m brand new, and it’s ok to run even if people don’t know you.”

While being a new student, she is set to make her mark by helping Student Council plan safe activities that replace timeless face-to-face traditions, from pumpkin decorating to the Christmas assembly.

Tapia hopes to seek higher office as her high school career develops, as she’s had a passion for student council since fourth grade. 

Tapia said, “I was always interested in it, I’ve been in student council since I was in fourth grade.”

There is no doubt that the representatives and leaders of StuCo will be able to overcome this bump and recreate old traditions as Loretto, but inventive and creative minds like Christiane Tapia are essential to supplementing new ideas for new celebrations.