New year, new leaders

Photo Courtesy of Loretto Academy Facebook

On the first day of school the leadership team went to enjoy their last first day of school. They spent their day remembering what it is like to have a day back at school. Top row from left to right: Daniela Martell, Sybonae Acosta, Iliana Moreno, Samantha Salgado, Amanda Landin, Mariasofia Mansilla, Valeria Simons, Paulina Quiroz, and Kaitlyn Horn.

Isabela Baca, Class Sections Editor

Class Elections are usually held at the end of each school year, however this year elections were held at the beginning of the year via Zoom, due to the pandemic.

Senior elections along with the student body elections were held during the summer on August 4 in order to start off the year with the leadership team.

Junior, sophomore and freshman elections were held on October 1, 6, and 8.

The meeting was hosted by the Student Activities Director Ms. Helen Martinez.

Ms. Martinez said, “What I missed the most were the colorful posters, all over the halls”.

Instead, this year the girls would run their own campaigns through social media, such as their Instagram and Snapchat.

Seniors elected Kaitlyn Horn as student body president, and Paulina Quiroz as student body vice president.

Horn said, “I am really looking forward to executing all of the new ideas that we are coming up with.

“They are things that haven’t really been done in the past so it will be fun to see how they turn out, I just want this year to be as fun as it possibly can be!”

Each class had it’s election where the girls voted through email, and the student council for the 2020-2021 school year was finally established.

Seniors representatives are Valeria Simons as class president, and Daniela Martell as class vice president.

Simons said, “ I am hoping we are able to celebrate all the beloved traditions loretto has and have an amazing senior year”.

Junior representatives for this school year are Aurora Zepeda as president and vice president Lara Enriquez.

Zepeda said, “I look forward to finding new ways to lift spirits and bring joy to others.

“I hope that, although it may not be done the conventional way, we can find new ways to carry out the Loretto Traditions.”

Sophomore class representatives are Elisa Camacho as president and Jayne Nowak as vice president.

Camacho said, “I am looking forward to planning events to bring our class together during these tough times.

“And hopefully getting to do all the events we usually do during the year”.

Freshmen representatives are Jennifer Chung Ma as class president, and Sophia Merji as class vice president.

Chung Ma said, “I wish to see the Student Council making good ideas, introducing interesting events, and showing order and responsibility to the others”.

This year’s student council is looking forward to working together in order to create excitement among the student body.