Memories of Loretto from graduating class

The class of 2020 at their senior sunset. The class gathered on the soccer field to watch the sunset and make memories. Photo courtesy of Rebecca Terrazas.

As the graduating class of 2020 prepares to part ways one last time from their classmates and teachers, they have also taken this opportunity to reflect on all of the memories that will forever be housed within the halls of Loretto Academy.

Our school’s many traditions are unique not only because they help form an unbreakable bond between each class, but also because they form bonds between the past and future classes of Loretto women.

Some of these traditions have even become some of the seniors’ favorite memories of Loretto.

For seniors Julieta Alarcon, Ana Paola Aranzola, Marielle Arriaga, Brianna Diaz, Ashley Leyva, and several others, their favorite memory of Loretto was their junior year Ring Rose.

Ring Rose is a tradition in which the seniors give the juniors a ring to symbolize their future legacy as Loretto graduates, and the juniors give the seniors a yellow rose as a send-off present as the seniors leave Loretto to pursue their dreams.

Although Ring Rose was canceled this year due to the COVID-19 crisis, the class of 2020 was fortunate enough to be a part of the Ring Rose experience as juniors, if not as seniors.

Another Loretto tradition is Field Day, the culminating day of Spirit Week in which all four of the classifications compete to see which has the most school spirit; Spirit Week takes place at the beginning of each school year.

For seniors Nadia Chabre, Sophia Chew, Marcia Gonzalez-Wisbrun, Melissa Hidalgo, Daniela Wong, and several others, this colorful day of cheering, dancing, and laughing was among their favorite memories of senior year.

Although the class of 2020 was unable to experience the time-honored tradition of Senior Sunrise, we were fortunate enough to celebrate Senior Sunset — a tradition in which the senior class gathers on the soccer field after school and waits to see the sunset together.

Senior Meghan Brittain said, “Lying with my friends on the soccer field watching the sunset and listening to music was one of my favorite memories of senior year.”

Seniors Anavictoria Acosta, Genesis Aguirre, Bryanna Alcantar, Ashley Maniates, and Victoria Torres will also fondly remember Senior Sunset as one of the defining moments of their senior year.

Loved by the students but despised by the teachers is the tradition of Senior Ditch Day, in which the senior class plays hooky and skips school for a day.

For seniors Sarina Avalos, Sophia Navarro, Danna Pulido, and Maria Fernanda Uribe, the Senior Ditch Day celebration was one of their favorite memories of senior year.

Special thanks goes to senior Alissa Ventura; without her, the ditch day celebration wouldn’t have been possible, or at least wouldn’t have been nearly as fun. 

Appropriately, her favorite memory of senior year was also Senior Ditch Day.

Finally, perhaps one of the most anticipated and secretive traditions of senior year is the Senior Retreat, which happens in late January.

Senior Angela Muniz’s favorite memory of senior year was this retreat, and she said, “Every year’s retreat strengthens our bond as sisters.”

Although this retreat is life-changing for every single one of the seniors, for students Isabel Aldana, Sofia Cadena, Mila Cordero, Adrienne Deslongchamps, Madison Leyva, and Bianca Ramos, this beloved tradition was their favorite part of the school year.

However, for many others in the graduating class of 2020, their favorite memories of Loretto were not our school’s cornerstone traditions but instead the little moments that made each day brighter.

Senior Bonnie Abbott said, “When the teachers would joke around or laugh with us, that always eased the stress.”

Senior Lynnette Garcia said her favorite memories from senior year were “sitting in the foyer with my friends, just laughing and having fun.”

Senior Lupita Lucero agreed, and she said her favorite moments of the school year were “simply laughing and eating lunch with my friends.”

For other seniors, their favorite moments of this school year were the bonding moments they shared with their teachers.

For example, senior Mariana Arrunada said, “I loved having class with [Mr.] Sanchez.”

Senior Dafne Molina said her favorite high school memory was “playing tag with [Mr.] Sanchez on the soccer field.”

Senior Victoria Villarreal said that her favorite senior year memory was “dressing up as Mrs. Ng for Halloween,” which was a moment that no one in graduating class of 2020 will soon forget.

Finally, some of the most treasured moments of senior year for other girls were not their bonds with teacher but instead their bonds with their friends and classmates.

Senior Juliana Liano said that her favorite high school memory was “pretending to fall down the stairs with Abi — twice.”

Student body president Rebecca Terrazas said that “every single day as student council president” was her favorite, because “Loretto made me a leader.”

Finally, senior Emilia Uranga’s favorite high school memory reminded us all of the class of 2020’s most beloved, personal tradition: “singing Oceans.” 

Besides leaving the class of 2020 with amazing memories that will last a lifetime, Loretto also has taught this graduating class several different lessons that they will carry with them out into the world.

For some seniors, these lessons were life skills such as organization (Mia Gates), time management (Fernanda Ochoa, Karen Trejo), and responsibility (Emilia Ramirez).

For others, Loretto taught them interpersonal skills such as kindness (Jacqueline Porras, Andrea Santos), the importance of loving your friends (Catherine Carreon, Norma Silva), and how to stand up for yourself and for others (Cassandra Quintero, Lily Schow).

For other seniors, the skills they have learned from Loretto have been a direct result of our school’s notorious workload.

Senior class vice president Abigail Eudave said Loretto taught her “how to eat a burrito in under two minutes.”

Senior class president Melina Olivas said Loretto taught her “how to pull an all-nighter.”

Senior Mizuki Nagae wisely said she learned from Loretto that “it is possible to do week’s worth of homework in one night, even though that’s not advisable.”

However, perhaps most importantly, Loretto taught the graduating class the value of sisterhood — for seniors Victoria DuBois, Julia Esparza, Andrea Hidalgo, Bianca Moya, Paulina Ponce, and Ximena Valenzuela, the concept and reality of sisterhood is their main takeaway from all their years at Loretto.

Senior Ximena Zarate said, “I only have one brother, but in Loretto I found 77 sisters.”

For many other seniors, Loretto taught them the value of ideals such as bravery (Alexis Diaz), confidence (Laura Renata Gil, Dinorah Perez, Gabriela Sigala), service (Priscilla Gonzalez), and faith (Audrey Hermida, Alejandra Lugo).

Senior Zoe Andritsos said that Loretto taught her “to use my voice to speak up for what I know is right.”

Senior and National Honor Society president Macarena Barrio said Loretto taught her that “goals do not come easily; you have to go through hard and frustrating moments in order to achieve what you desire, and this will make you grow into a more mature human being.”

Senior Elisa Ibarbo said Loretto taught her that “home is not just a place, it can be people, too — even when you’re not at Loretto, Loretto will never leave you.” 

Senior Lupita Lopez-Valdez said, “Loretto has taught me to be responsible, to take advantage of my resources, how to be positive about everything, and to always have ambitions.”

Senior and student council vice president Mia Hernandez said, “Loretto has taught me that nothing good comes easy; I must work for everything I want.”

Senior Anacristina Muniz said, “Loretto has taught me that a strong combination of persistence, determination, and caffeine will help me achieve my goals.”

Senior Anneliese Gil said that Loretto taught her “how to manage my time and to be involved in things as much as possible and to speak up for change.”

Senior Dulce Maria Lara said she learned from Loretto that “ things will never work out the way you plan them but always the way they should be.”

Senior Savina Verdugo said, “I’ve learned to be self-sufficient and how important it is to express my opinions.”

Senior Ashley Maniates said Loretto taught her to “never be scared to use your voice and use it with pride.”

Senior Valentina Ortega said she learned from Loretto that “we must always find the good things in life, and never forget our community.”

Senior Kaylyn Rickerson said Loretto taught her to “have a more open mindset for the future.”

Senior Alejandra Urbina said Loretto taught her this unforgettable life lesson: “You are capable of so much more than you think you are.”

Almost the entirety of the graduating class of 2020 had been enrolled in Loretto since before their senior year — however, special mention must be given to the two seniors who entered into our sisterhood this year.

Senior Sophia Chauvet said that her favorite high school memory was the Senior Retreat and that Loretto taught her to always be respectful.

Senior Claudia Nieves also said that her favorite high school memory was the Senior Retreat; she said that Loretto taught her that “as hard as it might get, don’t give up — you’re closer to the finish line than you think.”

For the graduating class of 2020, that finish line has approached; high school has come to an end, and it’s time for the seniors to bid farewell to the place that many of them called home for so long.

However, in their hearts they will always carry the memories of their friends, their teachers, their traditions, and the memory of a sisterhood that transcended everything.