New normal at Loretto

Loretto Academy students have been faced with a new challenge, adjusting to a new normal. Students now have online instruction throughout the week. Photo courtesy of the Loretto Academy Facebook page.

Sophia Navarro, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On March 23, students were back in class but with a slight twist to it.

Students returned to campus in a virtual way.

Loretto Academy began its online instruction. 

Students had to adjust to the new normal of waking up early and attending classes online with the new 40 minute, non-rotating schedule.

The new schedule involves no rotating schedule and attending all seven classes a day. 

The new schedule is:

1st               8:15-8:55 a.m.

2nd              9:10-9:50 a.m.

3rd              10:00-10:40 a.m.

Break          10:50-11:05 a.m.

4th              11:15-11:55 a.m.

5th              12:00-12:40 p.m.

Lunch.        12:40-1:20 p.m.

6th              1:20-2:00 p.m.

7th              2:10-2:50 p.m.

This new arrangement is unusual for both teachers and students.

Senior and Student Body President Rebecca Terrazas said, “Online instruction is complicated for both students and teachers because it doesn’t allow them to converse face to face. 

“Also, teachers who are accustomed to writing on the black or whiteboard have to create new methods to teach.”

Both students and teachers have been learning new ways to communicate with each other at home. 

This new way of learning has both its good and bad qualities. 

Terrazas said, “Personally, I do not love it, but I am glad that there’s a way to continue having classes. The best part is being at your house.” 

One of the advantages of having online instruction is being able to attend classes in the comfort of one’s home.

Students have been enjoying attending classes in sweats and in their beds.

The downside is organizing your time.

Without teachers and friends reminding you of what’s due, students have to keep track of everything. 

Terrazas said, “My advice is keep yourself organized so you don’t miss class or a due date!”

Sophomore Sophia Chabre also had some great advice on how to stay organized.

Chabre said, “The only advice I can give would be to stay organized and don’t procrastinate too often, always try your best to not get distracted or your classes will become even more difficult.” 

Getting organized is a great tip to keep one on task during this time. 

Online instruction will continue until further instruction.

On Monday, March 30, Gov. Greg Abbot announced schools will remain closed until May 4.

“Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday told Texans to stay at home for the next month unless they are taking part in essential services and activities, announcing a heightened statewide standard to stem the spread of the new coronavirus,” according to the Texas Tribune.

“He also announced that schools would remain closed until at least May 4.”

This news comes with great sadness among the Loretto community. 

In light of everything going on, Loretto students have found ways to keep in contact with friends.

Some students zoom for lunch to catch up with each other and talk about their day. 

Senior Alejandra Urbina said, “We try to meet for lunch everyday, but sometimes we can’t because we have work to do or we want to sleep.”

Other students have been texting their friends and video chatting through the day.

No matter what the Loretto community is faced with, faculty and students work hard to establish a new normal. 

Please continue to stay home and don’t forget to attend class.