A run like nun other

Seniors Melissa Hidalgo, Renata Gil, and Ximena Zarate preparing to guide runners as they take on the annual Nun Run. They cheered on runners while dressed as nuns. Photo courtesy of Sophia Navarro.

Iliana Moreno, Loretto News Co-Editor

On February 22, Loretto seniors hosted the annual Nun Run, giving the seniors the perfect opportunity to cheer on fellow runners while dressed like nuns.

The funds from the 5k go towards Loretto’s sister school in Pakistan as well as local charities, where they will be used to buy new supplies.

This is one of the last events that seniors will host, making their mark before they leave Loretto.

Senior class Vice President Abigail Eudave said, “It was a lot of hard work, but it was a good way to leave a mark on Loretto and to finish the year off strong.”

While some seniors dressed as nuns, other Loretto classifications competed in the race or enjoyed a non-competitive walk with their friends and family.

Before the day of the race, students had the opportunity to compete for their very own Nun Run shirts tailored to their classification color.

This year’s winners were juniors, but ultimately resulted in a tie between them and the sophomores.

All Loretto students had the opportunity to wear their new shirts the Friday before, allowing them to wear free dress.

Participants in the competitive run began the race at 9 a.m. while walkers began shortly after.

The route was guided by the El Paso Police Department, ensuring the safety of the competitors along the run and walk.

This year’s Nun Run was a success for everyone, from the seniors to the sponsors.