Denver leadership summit 2019

Last year’s Loretto selection, taking a break from becoming leaders and having a fun time. Photo courtesy of Rebecca Terrazas.

Iliana Moreno, Loretto News Editor

Every year, a few of Loretto’s juniors attend the Denver Leadership Summit, which opens opportunities by teaching the girls to use their voice and help their communities.  

This past summer, then juniors Abigail Eudave, Melissa Hidalgo, Mia Hernandez, Macarena Barrio, Jacqui Porras, and Rebecca Terrazas attended, learning how to lead and how to help voice the concerns of the community with effectiveness.

“I was inspired to join because I had a goal of making an impact on my school before I graduated,” said Eudave. 

Hernandez said, “I really enjoy being involved in my community so that was my inspiration.”

Students that attended last year noticed the leadership qualities that emerged in them. 

“The leadership trip brought out the leader in me,” said Terrazas. 

This year, Terrazas, Hernandez, and Porras lead the Student Council body at Loretto — Terrazas being president, Hernandez as vice president, and Jacqui Porras as secretary, while Barrio uses her leadership skills as president of the National Honor Society. 

Along with becoming emerging leaders, they also met girls from Loretto’s sister-schools: St. Mary’s Academy and Nerinx Hall. 

Barrio said, “My best memory is when all the leadership girls got together in one house and made a sleepover.”

For the girls, the Denver Leadership Summit not only included fun, but it also taught them the importance of working together, setting the example, and voicing the needs of their communities.

Hernandez said, “Every day we have a chance to be a leader — I can speak up whenever I know something isn’t right, and I can always help my community.”

In years to come, 2019’s Loretto Denver Leadership group plans to carry the skills they learned with them throughout college and life.