Soul to remember, game to remember

Varsity volleyball team pictured doing a team talk. They hug one another, showing their support. Photo courtesy of the author.

Daniela Martell, Sports Editor

On September 24, 2019, Loretto’s volleyball team organized a memorial game in honor of our beloved R.J. Bustillos.

The freshman team, junior varsity team, and varsity team played against Pebble Hills High School. 

Things were done in honor of R.J., just like he would have wanted. 

The crowd wore either Dallas Cowboys jerseys or colors of the Cowboys, since it was R.J.’s favorite football team.

Sophomore Sara Rodarte, member of the junior varsity team, said, “The crowd was very excited and loud.” 

R.J. was the perfect example of school spirit. 

The Spanish Honor Society (SHS) sold Mexican food that was R.J.’s favorite.

Spanish teacher Ms. Camacho said, “R.J. and Ms. Glover loved mariachis,” so SHS serenaded Ms. Glover with mariachis.

When the mariachis sang ‘Cielito Lindo’, it was an emotional moment. 

Varsity player and junior Giselle Yoshimoto said, “R.J. would have been super happy and might even cry if he saw everyone with Cowboy jerseys.”

Yoshimoto also said, “The memorial was very special and should be a tradition. R.J. impacted many lives.”

This memorial was not only to support the volleyball team or to support Ms. Glover, it was also to remember R.J. and the spirit that he brought to the entire school.